Monday, April 9, 2007

Anchor House Update #1

This initial post comes from a couple of emails I sent out to family and friends when I was planning to plant a new church. I'm sharing it here for those who are new to the whole Anchor House adventure.

I last worked as a pastor in 2003. Even though I've been working as a carpenter for the past 3 1/2 years, I haven't stopped feeling that at some point, God would open the doors for me to get back into ministry again. I believe that time is now.

For several years I have dreamed of a smaller, more intimate church that could be easily replicated; where every member was encouraged to grow as a devoted disciple of Jesus; where the Christian life was lived together in authentic Christian community; where Jesus is worshipped as Transcendent Lord of All and loved as our Brother; where each member was actively encouraged to discover how their spiritual gifts fit into the church and how to use those gifts as a leader in the body of Christ.

This past January, I had breakfast with Raj Attiken, President of the Ohio Conference of Seventh-day Adventists and shared my dream to plant a church built on these core values. He liked what he heard and gave me his blessing to go ahead with this new worshipping community.

The name of this new worshipping community is Anchor House and the name comes from Hebrews 6:19-20 which says, "We have this hope as an anchor for the soul, firm and secure. It enters the inner sanctuary behind the curtain, where Jesus, who went before us, has entered on our behalf." Thus, Anchor House is to be a church community that lives out the hope we find in Jesus Christ.

We began meeting Easter Weekend (Sat. April 7). It was a small gathering, just six of us including my wife and 2 daughters, but the Spirit of God was present and we had a wonderful time of worship, reflection of John 15:1-17, Lord's Supper and fellowship meal. We will continue meeting each week and God will bless, no matter what happens.

Let me close with this text from Matthew 16. Jesus has just asked his disciples who he is: "16 Simon Peter answered, 'You are the Christ, the Son of the living God.'
17 Jesus replied, 'Blessed are you, Simon son of Jonah, for this was not revealed to you by man, but by my Father in heaven. 18 And I tell you that you are Peter, and on this rock I will build my church, and the gates of Hades will not overcome it. 19I will give you the keys of the kingdom of heaven; whatever you bind on earth will be bound in heaven, and whatever you loose on earth will be loosed in heaven.'"

Verse 18 tells us that it is Jesus, and Jesus alone who will build his church, and the rock foundation is the confession that He is Lord. We are not the ones who make the church succeed or grow, we are merely the laborers Jesus calls along to be his hands and feet on the earth. And this is most certainly true for Anchor House. Yes, I believe God has given me this dream and called me to this work, but on my own... well, it just wouldn't get off the ground.

Blessings to each of you this week!

No comments: